Follow This Weekly Moving Checklist for a Smooth, Stress-Free Transition
It’s Official – You’ve just purchased a NorCal Homes property and you’re getting ready to move!
The paperwork was straightforward and simple, and everything’s going as planned. Now all that’s left is figuring out how to physically move your entire life from your old property into your new home… a task that can sometimes be a little overwhelming.
Good Housekeeping put together this easy to follow Moving Checklist to help you stay as organized as possible when you’re getting ready to move.
The papers are signed. The plans are underway. Now, it’s time to figure out the logistics of how and when you’ll move, along with the plan for when you first step foot in your new home.
- Research moving companies with the Better Business Bureau and get recommendations from friends and family who have recently moved.
- Learn about your rights and responsibilities as you prepare to work with a moving company from the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- Consider extra insurance coverage you may need for your move. Ask prospective moving companies what insurance is included and check your homeowners’ policy to see what it covers.
- If you are moving to a new area, research banks, doctors, and schools. Gather all the proper paperwork you need to set up new accounts.
You’re on a research kick — keep it going. Seven weeks out from the big day, lock down the moving company that you’ll use and start tracking all relevant expenses.
- Get estimates in writing from at least three licensed moving companies. If possible, have an estimator come to your home to do an inventory.
- Start a binder or folder where you can keep all of your moving estimates and moving-related paperwork.
- Make a list of businesses you will need to contact to change your address. Don’t forget to list your online accounts, too.